I have been teaching drum lessons professionally since 2011. Keeping my student's favorite music and personal goals in mind, I create a balanced curriculum focused on technique, songs, and practical concepts that allow them to get the most out of what I show them, while also opening the doors for them to explore their own musical creativity. I spent my first 6 years of teaching giving in-person lessons, but over time I began to notice that this format enabled a few recurring problems.
In 2017 I moved to San Diego and decided that it was time to do something to address these issues. My goal was to make my lessons as beneficial and streamlined for my students as they could be.
My solution has been to teach through Skype/FaceTime and Customized Video Lessons. These formats eliminate all of the problems that came with in-person lessons, while still allowing the students to get personalized instruction from me.
- Setting aside travel time and dealing with traffic are no longer issues.
- When the student is playing, the unintended pressure caused by me being in the room is reduced now that I'm on a screen. Customized Video Lessons eliminate the pressure altogether.
- Students get to have their lessons from the comfort of their own kits.
- Forgetting sticks and sheet music is no longer an issue.
- Students with Customized Video Lessons will be able to go back and reference their lesson at any time if they need to.
I am thrilled with how well Skype/FaceTime and Video lessons have been working for my current students. Of course, it's up to you to decide what works best for you. If you haven't already, please watch the video above to get an idea of what you can expect!